cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:49:52 -0400

On Monday 25 September 2006 06:39 pm, Mia Garlick wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2006, at 3:31 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
>
> <cut>

> >> with respect, i think you're missing the point. the point is not
> >> what happens in practice. the point is what section 1201 will be
> >> interpreted by a court to mean. a court is not going to uphold an
> >> interpretation of this clause that allows Alejandra to place a
> >> license on her work that authorizes Carlos to circumvent iTunes. the
> >> statutory language does not support this interpretation - the TPM
> >> must have been applied with the authority of the copyright owner (in
> >> the envisaged scenario, the TPM is not applied with the authority of
> >> the copyright owner). the statutory intent of the clause is not to
> >> find ways for people to circumvent DRM, quite the opposite. this is
> >> not a productive line of ongoing discussion.
> >
> > I get your point, I will concede it for the rest of this thread.
> > But, if in
> > practice, iTunes is the only party capable of putting the TPM on
> > the works in
> > question, what then? Would that make a difference if it was the
> > same party?
>
> so even then, i think you still have the issue of the party who is
> consenting to the circumvention (here, Alejandra) is not iTunes nor
> anyone authorized by iTunes...so even if iTunes put the TPM on
> themselves and were the licensee, i don't think anyone is going to
> read s1201 as saying that a person unrelated to iTunes can then
> authorize circumvention of iTunes' DRM....(note that iTunes would be
> in breach of the anti-DRM clause of the license at this stage but
> that's a separate matter)...

I got you, and I don't really think this is going anywhere, but are you sure
that if the language says that if you choose to put TPM on my copyrighted and
then distribute, you are presumed to have given permission to people to
circumvent that very same TPM (which is your TPM) for the purposes of the
rights I grant them to my works? If you are unwilling to grant the right to
circumvent, do not distribute my files.

Sort of like what is done here:

"For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound
recording, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving
image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of
this License."

in the BY-SA 2.5 license but in a different realm?

If you are fed up by this thread by now, feel free to not respond.