cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:36:06 -0400

On Monday 25 September 2006 11:01 am, Mia Garlick wrote:
> it was included on line 42 of pages 14-16 of the table attached at
> the bottom (forgive me) of this email posted to the list: http://
> lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2006-September/004027.html
>
> # the comment was:
>
> I'm surprised nobody AFAICT has suggested just that -- rather than
> disallow DRM, explicitly give authority to circumvent. The DMCA
> seems to allow this -- http://thomas.loc.gov/cgibin/query/D?c105:6:./
> temp/~c1059gv3KK:
>
> `(A) to `circumvent a technological measure' means to descramble a
> scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to avoid,
> bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a technological measure,
> without the authority of the copyright owner; and
>
> GPLv3 draft 2 maybe does this — http://gplv3.fsf.org/gpl-
> draft-2006-07-27.html
>
> No covered work constitutes part of an effective technological
> “protection” measure under section 1201 of Title 17 of the United
> States Code. When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal
> power to forbid circumvention of technical measures that include use
> of the covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit
> operation or modification of the work as a means of enforcing the
> legal rights of third parties against the work's users.
>
> # the response was:
>
> While the use of the term “copyright owner” as used in Section 1201
> is arguably imprecise, the conclusion that it authorizes CC licensor
> to consent to the circumvention of a third-party’s TPM applied by a
> CC licensee is seriously flawed.
>
> To date, to the extent the courts have considered this term, it has
> been in the context of movie studios authorizing DVD manufacturers to
> make DVD players that read CSS; in the context of Real Networks suing
> for the cracking of their DRM, or in the context of a garage door
> opener’s consent to a consumer unscrambling a code they applied to
> their own garage door open. In other words, the relevant copyright
> owner who can authorize circumvention of a TPM is the copyright owner
> of the work who applied the TPM to the work in the first place or the
> technology company that developed the TPM and applied it to the work
> with the consent of the copyright owner of that work.
>
> It would defeat the purpose of Section 1201 (which is to protect the
> technological locks voluntarily applied by copyright owners to their
> works) if Alejandra could, for example, apply a CC license, with a
> circumvention consent provision in it, to her work and Benito could
> then place it on iTunes and, by virtue of the CC license, Carlos
> could then lawfully decrypt iTunes.

In a sane world, this would be iTunes problem as they could easily have a
system which put DRM on some tracks and left if off of others. If they choose
to put it on tracks where the copyright holder specifically disallows such
measures or only allows them with a provision of circumvention, that hsould
be their tough luck.

Where is this thinking flawed? (Other than this is not a sane world.)

> Given the technological measure
> referred to in Section 1201 has to have been applied with the
> authority of the copyright owner, this consent provision does not
> seem to give copyright owners the power to authorize the
> circumvention of technological measures applied by someone else such
> as a licensee. If this were the case, competitors could release
> their works on terms that would authorize the circumvention of
> another’s TPM.
>
> Finally, GPL v3 draft 2 does not seem to be invoking this provision.
> The quoted text seems to be saying that GPL-licensed code cannot form
> part of a technological measure that is protected under Section
> 1201. It is not saying that a copyright owner has the power to
> authorize the circumvention of a technological lock applied by
> someone else to their work.

I think you have this spot on as it relates to the GPL. It is not talking
about other works at all but about this work being considered a part of an
effective technological measure. (At least I read it the same way you do. If
I understand your take correctly.)