baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:40:47 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

How exactly do you log in as root and start
in X and exit without rebooting?.

Edit tty1 line in /etc/inittab:
--------------------------------
tty1::respawn:-/bin/sh -c startx
--------------------------------
If "respawn" doesn't do what you
want, try "once".

When I tried this with 'once', I got a message about xterm not being on the path. I symlinked xterm to rxvt, and then I got X but no JWM. What might I change to get JWM as well? I had installed no-xvesa.tgz and SVGAlib server, but gone back to Xvesa, so something may have been changed that needs unchanging.

I also want to remove 'root' to go back to 'Press Enter'.

What do the two shutdown lines mean?

Those are the actions that are performed
following CTRLALTDEL. Swap is turned off
and partitions are unmounted.
Note the /sbin/reboot on the ctrlaltdel
line. That reboots the system. If you
prefer that the system shutdown without
rebooting, change reboot to halt.

Typing halt works, and it should work from the menu.
I put dial, hangup, and exit linux as the first three items.

For more information on configuring
/etc/inittab, do: man init