baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:38:06 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Is there some way to auto-boot to X and log in as user?

You can probably do it by editing /etc/inittab
to eliminate the ASKFIRST (see "man init"
for alternatives), set USER in /etc/rc or
/etc/profile, and startx.

I will leave this as root since it is for an intelligent adult who will not be doing online banking. She is picking up tomorrow morning and will hopeful have friends who want later editions of this computer setup.

A bit of trial and error will probably get you
there.

If not, what is the best way to auto-boot to
X (and then run as root)?

I've got one of my laptops configured to do this,
but it's not here at the moment. IIRC, I put
startx in /etc/inittab. Let me know if you
decide to go this way and I will check exactly
what I did.

How exactly do you log in as root and start in X and exit without rebooting?. I will not have much time to experiment tomorrow morning before pickup in 12 hours (most of which is sleep time).

I see that ctrlaltdel is the same as reboot.
What do the two shutdown lines mean? BL3 has no shutdown binary.

swap partition /dev/hda3, BL3 /dev/hda1 and a backup in /dev/hda2 in case root breaks things.

Some driver modules load in /etc/rc: the console font (specify the full paths), slhc, ppp, svgalib_helper, and gameport.o but not esssolo1.o (maybe there needs to be a pause?). I could put 'turn on sound' in the JWM menu to load esssolo1.o.

After recycling about 10 modems we found an X2 (the free dialup place says a few of its modems are X2 but I have not hit one yet) with a nice loud beeper, but you need to power off in between uses or it won't go off hook again (not just warm reboot). Is there some way to reset the modem not to need that?

This is a tiny very quiet SONY desktop which we upped to 333MHz and 96MB which acts 10 times as fast as Win2K in the same RAM - 30 sec instead of 6 min boot most of it before LILO starts. Grey case to which we added a dark blue CD-ROM drive of the wrong shape, carved the case to fit a floppy drive button.

You need to hold the POWER button 5 sec or it suspends - can linux tell it to go off if I add another piece? Tiny power supply with no switch.