baslinux - Re: [BL] Use wvlan_cs.o not orinoco drivers with kernel 2.2, was Re: 2.4 kernel with loop BL3 read-only

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use wvlan_cs.o not orinoco drivers with kernel 2.2, was Re: 2.4 kernel with loop BL3 read-only
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:49:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Sindi wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I did a variety of web searches on orinoco, and all the
hits mentioned kernel 2.4 or later.

The following Orinoco tutorial mentions 2.2.X kernels:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html

That is where I got my information. (PrismII and Intersil are the same thing). It might be helpful for the Libretto owner. The page on wvlan_cs.o talks about Tx Timeout related to interrupts and excluding an irq. I don't understand most of this page.

They claim orinoco is better because it can be made to work on more platforms. It is also twice the size of wvlan_cs.o (60K for three modules instead of 30K for one). It has 'some Prism2 and Symbol card support'. Maybe not enough, because it segfaults with my Prism2 card and 2.2 kernel where wvlan_cs.o does not.

Ad-Hoc mode is not well supported, which explains why I need to use a wireless router to connect two computers two feet apart, while regular network cards work plugged together directly.

Prism2 cards are not fully supported even by orinoco, and WEP encryption is broken. (There never was any for Airo 340, my other cards).

I will take my four 'orinoco' cards to the public library and test them with wvlan_cs and a signal, and also determine at home whether orinoco thinks the cards are prism2/intersil or orinoco or spectrum, and check both drivers with wireless tools iwlist and iwconfig (the orinoco with 2.4 kernel). I can set up a wireless router with WEP, to test WEP capability.

It recommends pcmcia-cs-3.1.29 or later.
I used 3.2.7 for BL3.

Maybe the orinoco drivers from 3.1.29 worked with 2.2 but the later versions require a 2.4 kernel? If you compile the earlier ones I will test them, if I find any advantages of orinoco (with 2.4) over wvlan.

the hermes-orinoco-orinoco_cs set of modules is
likely not to work with kernel 2.2,
whereas wvlan_cs appears to work.

I could not use orinoco with 2.2 in three computers, and the Libretto had kernel problems too.

Please put a note about this in your modules page if you plan to keep the orinoco modules (suggest trying wvlan_cs if orinoco segfaults). Every non-dead non-cardbus wireless card I have run into other than two Airo 340's is 'orinoco'. Non-cardbus cards are getting harder to find.