baslinux - Re: [BL] 2.4 kernel with loop BL3 read-only

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2.4 kernel with loop BL3 read-only
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 21:56:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 5 May 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

My 2.4 kernels work with loop BL3 as 'read only file system'.

I searched on 'Error 30 :R/O file system' and got only the thread I started:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-December/011643

This lists the error messages obtained when using orinoco modules from the BL3 site with 2.2.26 (the card works on the same computer with 2.4.31 in ext2), and the fact that 2.4.31 is not useful booted loop because you cannot write to a file. (The thread also illustrates how confused I was about wireless).

Please confirm my problem (use the bzimagla.431 kernel from my site).

At the BL3 site I don't see the config for the standard BL3 kernel, just the 'big' kernel. My config has:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y (size 4096)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

Do I need to change something in initfs.gz? fs.img? The kernel itself? Permissions? The documentation for 2.4.31 says it should work with loop file the way BL3 uses it, but does not give instructions how to edit config other than the first CONFIG line above.

It is not read-only when I boot it to ext2 BL3 (rw) but it is when booting (rw) to BL3 loop. I used the standard boot.bat but changed kernels.

Could I compile 2.4.31 from the 2.2.26 config (if I had it) or have too many things changed? (2.2.26 has STRIPED, 2.4.31 does not.)

Nvidia nforce2 IDE controller also requires kernel 2.4 to run hard disks at normal speed, otherwise they run at 2.3 MB/sec (1/3 their speed in DOS) instead of ten times that speed. I don't recall if VIA and SIS controllers work with 2.2. I have run into other unsupported hardware too.

Steven, please consider a small 2.4 kernel for BL3 that works with the loop and ext2 versions (with related modules, of course).

What is now considered obsolete hardware (7 years old) was new hardware when BL started.

One of the more interesting uses for obsolete laptops is for wireless access, and I now have four orinoco cards out of six total. Probably anyone setting up wireless would put BL on hard disk where the kernel size is less important than on floppy disk. Not needing an antivirus program makes things go a lot faster in itself.