baslinux - Re: [BL] Use wvlan_cs.o not orinoco drivers with kernel 2.2, was Re: 2.4 kernel with loop BL3 read-only

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Use wvlan_cs.o not orinoco drivers with kernel 2.2, was Re: 2.4 kernel with loop BL3 read-only
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 18:21:38 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> I did a variety of web searches on orinoco, and all the
> hits mentioned kernel 2.4 or later.

The following Orinoco tutorial mentions 2.2.X kernels:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html
It recommends pcmcia-cs-3.1.29 or later.
I used 3.2.7 for BL3.

> The orinoco modules are supposed to be better,
> and they are provided with kernels 2.4 and 2.6

Yes, they are now part of the kernel sourcecode
(which is more convenient).

> This implies that they were NOT provided with 2.2

They are not part of the 2.2 kernel sourcecode.
The pcmcia-cs package is used to add them.

> the hermes-orinoco-orinoco_cs set of modules is
> likely not to work with kernel 2.2,

I'm sorry to hear that.

> whereas wvlan_cs appears to work.

That, at least, is good news.

> the airo driver (which finds access points).

So we have at least two wireless modules that
we know will work: wvlan and airo

> I hope the owner of the Libretto is reading this
> and tries wvlan_cs with kernel 2.2.

Me too. The more data we get about these modules
the better.