baslinux - Re: [BL] links-ssl for libc5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links-ssl for libc5
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:57:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================

I have just compiled the latest verion of links1
(pre23) for BL3. It includes SSL and is capable
of logging into gmail.

Like your links 0.96ssl, it works at sdf.lonestar.org.

Unlike your links 0.96ssl, it also works for me for gmail!
(They must have improved something in this newer version).

But, unlike links2 ssl, it does NOT work at my www.grex.org shell account or at my library login page.

Also unlike links2 with graphical support, your BL3 links123 does work in BL2 with libc added (no X needed).

What new features does this version have besides better ssl support?

On your computer, how much RAM and CPU do links1pre23 and links2.1pre20 (in non-graphical mode) use? Both use 0% cpu on mine (1.2GHz), but .1 and .2% RAM (about 500K and 1MB). Even links2 ought to work in 12MB RAM.

Links1 would use less memory in a ramdisk, but this ssl version won't fit in your 2-floppy setup. Could you run it anyway from a third disk? (Links2 might fit in memory but not the floppy disk).

Lynx uses about 2MB and elinks about 1.5MB RAM - down from yesterday's number for some reason.

SSL adds about 700K in size to links2 (more to links1?).

(By the way, I don't have the problem with links2 crashing on a large photo if I use 16MB of my 512MB by typing mem=16MB after loadlin, rather than putting in a 16MB DIMM - maybe the PC66 DIMM is too slow for the computer.)

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/links1.tgz
Install with pkg. No additional libraries are
required.

If you need SSL and have low RAM and/or slow CPU,
this version of links will probably perform the
best on your computer. It is one-third the size
of the SSL-capable links2 I uploaded earlier today.

Thanks for all your efforts at SSL - what did you do differently this time around? Sindi