baslinux - Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:56:08 +0000 (UTC)

Haven't looked at splitvt but I'm aware of it through reading some of your
posts on this list. The same (splitting) can be done with screen, i.e.,
you can have the terminal or console divided into 2, 4 (or more) parts
with different programs running in each. Copying and pasting will
definitely work in an xterm using screen, but you'd probably need gpm for
copying and pasting at the console.

You can use the keyboard to cut and paste. The documentation is sparse.

When at sdf, instead of using screen, I type Ctrl-z to background a

Don't you have to have some special membership level to be able to use
screen at sdf?

I may have compiled it for my own use there. I am an ARPA member (paid them $36 once).

What do you use more than 10 terminals for?

chat client in one, 2-5 rxvt's running things like mc, top, ssh, or just
cli stuff, and 3-5 running browser instances. I've gotten really attached
to elinks since it is capable of tabbed browsing. If I had elinks on BL3 I
wouldn't need as many simultaneous rxvt's, that's for sure.

There is a good chance links for libc won't work with ssl, but I will eventually try to compile it for glibc with SSL and javascript support (unless someone more experienced is willing to tackle the patching of the javascript stuff from Mozilla).

Instead of xpdf, try using the SW4.0 gs in x to view a file.
-sDEVICE=x11 (or it may be the default, or you can put it as the default
in /etc/profile). The gs's I compiled don't run under X.
There is a ghostview front end that I have only tried in Windows.

This should obviate your fonts problem and eliminate the need for xpdf as
well. (Just use pdftopbm on pdf 1.5 formats, with xpdfrc pointing to
gs/Abiword fonts).

Great idea. I'll have to look into this. xpdf displays most English
language documents I've tried it with now that I've finally broken down
and installed those xfonts. But Greek or Hebrew text in pdf's get reduced

Can you install those fonts for X? If you extract the text with pdftotext, can you view using console fonts? kbd.tgz

to nonsense characters. At the same time, I managed to print out a pdf
using your gs package that had not only Greek and Hebrew characters, but
even some Syriac text in it. If I could get gs to display pdf's for me, it
seems like the font problem would definitely be solved, as you've said.

Which gs fonts package has those characters?

gs --help will list all the devices available which I think includes x11
for SW4.0 (it does for SW7.1 gs).

Probably just:
gs -sDEVICE=x11 file.pdf (I don't know how resolutions work under X, you may need to specify that as well, so read Use.html).

Thanks for the pointers.

Thanks for the feedback.
Today I had to use the JBIG2 version of gs to view and print a file that was highly compressed (65K for five very legible pages, instead of the usual 100K per page at 300 dpi, so expect more of this compression).
Sindi

James