baslinux - Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:52:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

Can you install those fonts for X?

I really don't know. I looked around a bit but didn't find anything in Slack4 so far. But if I understand correctly how this works, finding a Greek or Hebrew font for X is only half the battle. The other half, if I've got this correct, is getting xpdf to substitute your X font for the font contained in the document. I'm not very conversant with all this so I may be thinking it's more complicated than it really is. It seems there are utilities for making type 1 fonts from truetype, which might help as well. But that's a project for another day. The laptop works for all the basic stuff so it's time to lay it aside for a time while I concentrate on other obligations.

Which gs fonts package has those characters?

I have no idea. I was really surprised that document printed out so well. I don't think it contains an image file because when xpdf tries to render it there are characters on the page. So it seems to be trying to put some characters in place of the ones there that it can't render.

gs --help will list all the devices available which I think includes x11
for SW4.0 (it does for SW7.1 gs).

Probably just:
gs -sDEVICE=x11 file.pdf (I don't know how resolutions work under X, you may need to specify that as well, so read Use.html).

I hope to be able to try this soon. I'll report results once I do.

Thanks,
James