baslinux - Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:23:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

According to some initial testing I did on a qemu image, it is possible to
install and run the version of screen found in Slack12 (4.0.3) on BL 3.5.
I did this on a qemu image that had the updated libraries, i.e., the
libraries you have to install in order to install Opera. Getting screen to
run involved pkg'ing, of course, the screen package found in the /ap
directory of Slack12. I found that one more package was required in order
for screen to run: the package is called utempter and it can be found in
the /a directory. Anyway, after pkg'ing those two files I was able to run
screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5 running in a qemu session.

How big is this screen? What are its dependencies? I only needed to add libncurses.so (plus glibc libraries) for the Slackware 8.1 version screen 3.9. I don't use 99% of its features anyway.

'Utempter is a utility that alows some non-privileged programs to have required root access without compromising system security'. Do you really need this?

SW81 screen works for me as user despite a warning termcap entry too long (in BL2).

Sindi

James