baslinux - Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:35:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

You did not mention you were trying to view non-Latin characters.

Hunh? I mentioned Greek, Hebrew, and Syriac in a recent post. Since when do those languages' alphabets qualify as Latin?

You need to install the ghostscript fonts for whatever language/script you are trying to view. Abiword for BL comes with only Latin fonts.

Abiword at least has Symbol, which gives me a semblance of Greek. I really should have polytonic Greek, though (with diacritical markings and dead keys for their placement). But that's a project for another day. Most pdf's I will want to view will be almost all in English, and most documents I will create will have little or no Greek or Hebrew in them. I can always just transliterate, too.

It is not terribly complicated to add svgalib and svp as gs frontends. They work with kernel 2.2 (just edit libvga.config from Helper to Nohelper). My package for svgalib comes with lots of stuff you don't even need (header files for static compilation which I probably did not need to include). I think you do need libpng12.so.0.16.0 for links2 but probably not to use svp. You don't need the svgalib_helper module for kernel 2.2.

You might need the newer libvga.config but you could try just fetching
libvga.so.1.9.25-neo, put in /usr/lib, ldconfig (change the name by removing -neo or symlink it to libvga.so.1.9.25). Then svp ought to work with any gs.

svp-glib225 is my executable. I don't seem to have packaged it with any documentation. --help. 26K.
libvga.so.1.9.25-neo is 165K

This does not provide a solution to the problem of viewing non-Latin fonts though, does it? It would be an alternative to the xpdf set-up I currently have, with the same non-Latin limitations I've described, right?

GS fonts.htm
All about fonts... and how to add new ones.
Most gs fonts are .pfb which is PostScript Type 1. Fontmap file, aliases...

See the Hebrew HOWTO.

You may have to add your own Hebrew fonts for gs by converting them from some other format, or editing Fontmap..... Good luck.

Thanks. I did run across some information on that already. It's a project I may tackle later, but I'm trying to finish with this initial phase of getting all basic functionality set up on the laptop. Getting the capability to view or create documents with those non-Latin characters in them falls in the category of system tweaking in preparation for any conceivable scenario short of all-out nuclear war.

James