baslinux - Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen from Slack12 on BL 3.5
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:33:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

message. Apparently you don't need a screenrc.

No, you don't need a .screenrc--at least not for any versions of screen
I've used. But if you open a number of screen terminals like I do, the
appropriate .screenrc can be really nice. I've got one, for example, that
/etc/screenrc should do the same, for all users.

makes a sort of taskbar across the bottom of the terminal/console. There,
it shows hostname at the lower left, time at the lower right, and has a
section across the bottom middle that shows how many terminals are open
and highlights the one you're currently in with red brackets. If anybody
wants a copy of that I can just include it in-line in an e-mail.

James

Have you looked at splitvt? It lets you make two (or more?) virtual terminals out of one, and copy between them using the keyboard (probably also the mouse). I have not tried it in an rxvt.

When at sdf, instead of using screen, I type Ctrl-z to background a process and then run something else, then fg to get back to the original process. It can probably be done with several processes but I have not tried. The original process stops processing. But I can be reading mail, go to check files in my home directory or use a browser, and go right back into the same mail.

What do you use more than 10 terminals for?

Instead of xpdf, try using the SW4.0 gs in x to view a file. -sDEVICE=x11 (or it may be the default, or you can put it as the default in /etc/profile). The gs's I compiled don't run under X.
There is a ghostview front end that I have only tried in Windows.

This should obviate your fonts problem and eliminate the need for xpdf as well. (Just use pdftopbm on pdf 1.5 formats, with xpdfrc pointing to gs/Abiword fonts).