baslinux - Re: [BL] links2-1pre33-nossl for glibc225

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links2-1pre33-nossl for glibc225
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:52:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

This links2 for GLIBC 2.2.5 with support for svgalib
but not X is SMALLER than Steven's X version for libc5 X,
but has dependencies.

Very large dependencies. The BL3 links2 package
has no additional dependencies.

But it uses more RAM and cpu. The dependencies are also needed by netpbm, which is smaller than gs and can be used to print directly.

Steven's X version won't work in BL2

My links2 is a BL3 package. It is designed for BL3 (libc5).
BL2 is glibc2. None of the BL3 packages will work on BL2
(except for the uClibc packages -- they need no libraries).

Most will work in BL2 if you add libc, but links2 requires BL3 X.

If Steven wanted to compile a version with support for X
and svgalib

SVGAlib support was provided in BL1. When I did BL2,
I determined that X (i.e. XVESA + small wm) was
significantly superior to SVGAlib. As a result,
SVGAlib was dropped from BL2 and BL3.

and gpm everyone could use it in both BLs.

There is no need for me to provide packages for BL2.
BL2 has a glibc2 foundation and there are numerous
precompiled glibc2 executables available from a
multitude of distributors.

Do you know of a recent precompiled links2 with svgalib and SSL support that can work with glibc 2.2.5 (or the SW9.0 glibc)?
I found a delilinux version pre14 (no SSL).

BL3, however, uses an old library (libc5) and few
precompiled executables are available for it.
Slackware 4.0 is our primary resource, but it was
produced many years ago -- so I am motivated to
compile executables for BL3. I have no motivation
to compile add-ons for BL2.

SSL support would be helpful.

I agree. I tried to get a SSL version of links2
to work on libc5, but failed. I spent many hours
trying.

Thanks for trying.

I am also failing, but it could be because I have not installed the full openssl. I have .a and .so libraries.

Anyway, I posted my BL2 links2 because I could not find anything better for BL2. I am not going to bother compiling for X (it would take more source code and I don't use X except for Opera), but if someone wants I can add gpm support.