baslinux - Re: [BL] links2-1pre33-nossl for glibc225

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links2-1pre33-nossl for glibc225
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:56:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

This means if you try to do much more than view one
photo (or one website with a lot of graphics) with
links2 under X, on a laptop with 16MB RAM, you will
be swapping to swap file or partition,

That is wrong. I suggest you actually try it on
a computer with 16mb RAM.

I tried loadlin with mem=16M 32M 48M and 64M.

zgv runs out of memory at 16M or 32M but works at 48MB on a 1.5MB jpg.
links2 at 1024 (svgalib) needed the 64MB.

With 32M, links can view a small gif.

I could not check X because Xvesa won't work with the mem= switch (even mem=512M), nor with framebuffer (rivafb won't insert).

This is therefore not a proper test. I would need to put in 16MB DIMM etc.

On a laptop with 16MB things worked better.

I would need a slower computer to check how long it
took to load X plus links2 plus a photo.

Indeed. You can't simply take the results from a
fast 512mb computer, divide by 32, and say that's
what you will get on a slow 16mb computer.

Can you run links2 under X in 16MB without a swap file?

First of all, I don't use a swap file. I recommend people
use a swap partition. And yes, links2 runs under X in 16mb
RAM without a swap file. I've just tried it on an old laptop
with 16mb RAM (after doing a swapoff) and it worked just fine.

Did you try viewing a large image with it?