baslinux - Re: [BL] links2-1pre33-nossl for glibc225

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] links2-1pre33-nossl for glibc225
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:17:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Are there uclibc programs in BL3 other than busybox and Xvesa?

The entire BL3 foundation is statically compiled uClibc.
You can delete the /lib directory and BL3 will still
boot and provide the foundation utilities.

Is it possible to compile busybox, Xvesa and links dynamically against uclibc and save space, or would the uclibc.so library take up more room than saved by a dynamic compilation?
Can links be compiled against uclibc?

It already is. The links in BL3 is statically compiled
uClibc. It needs no libraries and should work on BL2
or any other version of Linux.

But not the links2 for BL3 because of X.

is it impossible to compile rxvt and xinit against
uclibc? xli? mgp? jwm

The problem is not uClibc, the fishhook is recompiling X
(which is very very big) to work on uClibc. I spent many
days (weeks?) compiling and recompiling (which takes a
very long time on an old PC). Finally, I got X to fully
compile, but when I tested it, I got errors. I suspect
at the heart of the problem is the provided uClibc root
filesystem, which expects a 2.4 kernel. I tried compiling
my own set of uClibc libraries for a 2.2 kernel, but that
failed as well. So I threw in the towel.

If you did manage to compile Xvesa against uclibc, people would still need libc to use other X's.

There are more programs available for X than svgalib. I don't know of anything like MGP for svgalib. Someone wrote a perl program to produce a powerpoint slideshow from an Openoffice Impress format. The only linux CAD programs I could find require X (and usually much more).

I compiled Kermit on a 486 laptop with 12MB memory.
X would take a great deal longer.