baslinux - [BL] unrar for glibc 2.2.5 (and loop linux kernel panic due to ACPI)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] unrar for glibc 2.2.5 (and loop linux kernel panic due to ACPI)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:16:35 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/unrar-glibc225

Testing working on 2MB of photos that I just received. RAR compresses 8-20% smaller than zip.

To compile it yourself get unrarsrc-3.4.3.tar.gz (120K), tar -zxvf unrar*gz, cd unrar, ln -s makefile.unix Makefile, make
Copy the resulting stripped binary unrar to /usr/local/bin.
There is no man page.

unrar --help
unrar e file.rar extracts to current directory
unrar l file.rar lists contents, size, ratio, date, etc.

unrar cl or cu converts names to lower or upper case but it did not work for me. Does BL have a tool to do this?

This is part of rar, which presumably can also create rar files.

It comes without compiling instructions. It needs libc++ to compile and to run. It would not compile in BSD, due to something specific to GNU in the makefile.

P. S. I never got a copy of my postings stating that BL3 loop got a kernel panic due to ACPI being enabled in two DFI computers (part of 'optimal' BIOS setting). Another model of DFI (newer?) no longer enabled ACPI in 'optimal setting'. Loop BL3 does not work at all in one DELL and there is no way to disable ACPI (not listed in setup). These are all about 500MHz.

Another (newer) computer has ACPI enabled but runs loop BL3 okay.

It is worth trying to disable ACPI if you get a kernel panic (which can also be caused by specifying too much RAM).

  • [BL] unrar for glibc 2.2.5 (and loop linux kernel panic due to ACPI), baslinux, 09/12/2007