baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy version

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy version
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 02:26:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

The SW8.1 glibc 2.2.5 libraries worked
perfectly in BL3.40.

Really? I would expect them to have the same
issue with libc5 X libraries.

libX11 is statically compiled.

Why would they NOT work equally well in BL3.50?

I have no idea. And I don't really care.
The 2.3.1 libraries work with Opera and
those are the ones I recommend.

I would take me far too long to download SW90
glibc package.

Why? The glibc-solibs-2.3.1 package is 1mb.

I had set up at one point to compile with the SW71 glibc (2.1.3, full package) and then added SW81 glibc so (2.2.5). This made a big mess which was hard to fix. So if I installed the SW9.0 glibc-solibs-2.3.1 package I would also need to install the full glibc package to compile with, and maybe also a few other large packages to match. (I ended up installing all the SW81 packages needed to compile with to fix my earlier mess). I am sticking with the SW81 glibc in BL2 (where I compile) and see no
reason to use anything later in BL3.50 since SW81 one works elsewhere. I think QEMU needed 2.3.X but I gave up on using QEMU.

I just downloaded the Opera 9 package (on dialup)
and it's 7mb.

Used to be 5MB. I was able to rename the smaller older skin from windows to standard in Opera 8 to get rid of the XP-looking effects. They no longer have the choice in the menu. You can also set up to download without images and then 'reload' one image with a right click or Shift-G to load them all (again not in the menu). I kept Opera 7 for reference.
Opera 8 also dropped a lot of choices of how to display websites to be more easily read but I think you can still make the choices with a text editor.

I unpackaged Opera in / and run it from /opera*/bin/opera

It sounds like you didn't install Opera.
I'm not sure running it from the archive's
bin directory actually works.

It works fine in BL3.40. I have 7.23 and 8.52 in their own directories and type opera-8*/opera (or opera-7*) which is a script that says "Use this if you don't want to install Opera to any special location, but execute it from the extracted package or current location" . The large executable is opera-8*/bin/opera. The script has a lot of stuff about java. When I tried to start it from opera-8*/bin/opera it could not find some spellcheck library.

Opera 8.52 worked in 3.40.

It also works in 3.50. So does Opera 9.21.

Please could you retrace my steps?

There is no need to retrace your steps. You
just need to follow the recommended steps.

I do not want to download glibc from SW90. What I did worked for BL3.40 and I would much prefer not to install a larger/later glibc than is really needed. Most of what is in the glibc package is not needed, ditto for your two packages. I will eventually figure out what went wrong for me to prevent libX11 from being found by the other X libraries. Strace?

I am hoping to share BL3.50 with friends who
are waiting for Opera

There is no need to wait. Opera works with 3.50.
Simply follow the step-by-step instructions.

They add too many things that are irrelevant. I will be putting BL3.50 in loop partitions for some people and want to keep it smaller. I see no use at the moment for libBrokenLocale, libpcprofile, libnss_nisplus, .....
libSegFault, the man page for ldd, or anything in your misc-libs besides libz (close to 2MB). What do you use libfreetype or libgcc_s or libstdc++ for?

Thank you for getting Opera working, even 9.21. Maybe Opera decided if they were only going to post one version to use an older glibc than in 9.02, which I think did not work.