baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X 6A

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X 6A
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:00:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================

Sindi wrote:

2-floppy blueflops is uclibc plus busybox
It looks like all the programs are static against
uclibc to avoid backwards incompatibility.

I was wrong. In order to get this all onto floppy disk I had to run floppymeter and follow instructions so that linux would work properly with more than one out of four floppy disks, all of which worked in DOS. (This floppy drive is way off spec, but is specifically shaped to fit this fashionable case). I thought I had copied everything to disk and most of disk2.tgz did not make it. libc.so is really on there. So everything is dynamic against uclibc, including the other libraries.

No rxvt. Has libpng12.so.0 libjpeg.so.0 libvga libz for svgalib links2.
The links2 worked as an image viewer. It supports SSL and javascript.
I don't know if it views xpm or ppm. Instead of an X menu it uses 'dialog' - you arrow around and make selections. Looks like menuconfig, or the menu for setting fonts.

You can try comparing sizes of links-0.95+xli+libX11+Xvesa with
the above for libc5.

I think libc.so.0 was smaller than libc.so.5

Interesting. Six weeks ago, I tried making a
completely static BL3. I gave up when the
smallest static rxvt I could compile was 400kb.

Not static, and no rxvt here. 1GB kernel with lots of PCMCIA ethernet drivers in it, and lots of non-PCMCIA ethernet modules. Designed only for going online to browse, chat or ssh. No lucent modem support as far as I know. Install to hard drive (using "dialog" menu) if you want to play with uclibc-dynamic linux. Aimed at beginners, with some simple questions about mouse and monitor resolution. svgalib detects the video chip. Vgalib is large enough that it is NOT using chipset VESA for all video chips. uclibc 26 busybox 1.1.10

links 2.1pre19 that needs all the image format libraries, makes it newer
than the svgalib Delilinux pre14 version. syslinux like David used.
They tried to include ALL PCMCIA ethernet drivers (and maybe other
ethernet drivers) in the kernel. Maybe for use on other people's
broadband setups?

This dbclient might fit into BL3.50 in the spare 100K. Would omitting
busybox telnet save any space?