baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X 6A

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X 6A
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:20:51 +1300

Message from Steven
===================

Sindi wrote:

> You can try comparing sizes of links-0.95+xli+libX11+Xvesa

If your only X executable is xli, there is no need
for libX11. xli statically linked to libX11 will
always be smaller than a dynamic xli plus libX11.

> I think libc.so.0 was smaller than libc.so.5

Yes, uClibc is about half the size of libc5.
And libc5 is about half the size of glic2.

I put libc5 in BL3 instead of uClibc for 2 reasons:
(1) updates to uClibc break binary compatibility
(2) there are many more libc5 binaries available

> This dbclient might fit into BL3.50 in the spare
> 100K.

If it were libc5, it would certainly fit. In fact
I tried compiling a small dbclient for BL 3.5, but
the static binary was too big and behaved strangely.

> Would omitting busybox telnet save any space?

Certainly it would save some space. But telnet is
useful for other purposes.