baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X 69

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X 69
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:44:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 05:11:19PM +0000,
Sindi wrote:

Thanks for this summary of the advantages of X.

Nobody is claiming that X is not useful, only that X sometimes
won't work on certain systems in BL3. Either there is not
enough RAM

I believe I have read that X will work with 8MB of RAM. If you
don't have that, how are you going to do _anything_?

I have laptops with 12MB RAM that I doubt I could get to view pdf files with xpdf (11.7MB), which can do so with svp/gs.

or hard disk space (in a loop filesystem),

That's a learning tool, not a fully-functional OS. Newbies
_shouldn't_ use X. Start simple and clean and learn the basics of
the shell and develop their typing skills.

I have BL3 in a loop file on a laptop that came with Win98, which I don't want to shrink because last time I did that it destroyed Windows. I don't have the CDs to reinstall the programs on there. I can't add a hard drive. Windows is working with a wireless card that would not work with linux.

I'm concerned here with fully-functional OSes.

or Xvesa won't support the video chip, and the SVGA server
needs changed modelines or also won't support the chip.

Whenever one is dealing with older computers, there are going to
be challenges along these lines. The solution here is to acquire
a video card that has a chip that one of those servers will work
with. They are not expensive.

Some computers don't have free slots and/or take expensive half-height video cards. Laptops would require external video cards plugged in probably via USB. Two of our laptops have pcmcia but not USB. They work nicely with zgv.

And (see below)...

Please remind us whether the TinyX servers are available for
libc5 precompiled.

The two you mention above. And there are several people on the
list who would be happy to create a statically-compiled version
of any of the TinyX servers (Xvesa is statically-compiled) upon
request.

Thanks. I will experiment with i810 and X in BL3. I would still appreciate knowing if svgalib 1.4.3 works with i810 as advertised before I try out X with i810 (which would require removing a PCI video card and finding the X server and setting up XF86Config - right?).

I think you had to change to glibc to get your serial card
working.

To _a_ libc6.

I didn't really have to change. Used statically-compiled (uclibc)
apps for a while. The combination of the unusual (for BL) serial card
and my i810 chip made me decide to switch over to glibc.

I am not using an old computer...

I _could_ have acquired, as you suggested in a previous thread,
a video card (the i810 is onboard) or used a statically-compiled
TinyX and a USB serial port (also your suggestion).

The main drawback of X for me is that I don't like GUIs, and X
programs are usually designed around a mouse and onscreen menus
and buttons.

I would much rather learn the keyboard commands.

With you there. I don't use a mouse for anything but cutting and
pasting, as a rule.

xv can be used without a mouse. The instructions are in xvdocs.ps, over 100 pages, which I had no way to read. I can read it now with svp - t rotates. (or use gs to convert to pdf and use xpdf which is slower).

xpdf does not need a mouse. n and p move between pages.
arrow scrolls. g goes to a page. + - zoom. z - fit page w - fit width Alt-F fullscreen.

These still won't work well on a low-RAM system.

Even without X you are going to need GPM mouse support for that,
unless you use screen.

Screen has the best cutting and pasting functionality in the
world. No other application compares. I really miss that. I'd
love it if someone would make screen graphical. It _is_ if you
run it in an xterm :-\

Thanks for pointing out that screen won't work with graphics. I
could only run the first screen session and had to exit zgv to
access a second screen.

Been there. It's a pain.

I have never had any reason to cut and paste images.

splitvt lets you run two programs and see them at the same time and cut and paste text between them.

The graphics exist in what is effectively a different world than
your ordinary working environment.

If I ever need to paste images I will use X.

That's only a small part of what X provides. The main thing
is an environment that integrates graphics and text.

What do you need that for? I can't think of any need, for myself.

svgalib is admittedly still buggy at times but the latest
version has not crashed for me. I probably need to change one
setting to fix a problem with text mode for my matrox card. The
author welcomes bug reports and is trying to support all recent
video chips in his 2007 version.

That's what he told me several years ago when I was trying to
get it to work without crashing my box!

This is not several years ago. 1.4.3 supports i810 since 2005.
Please could you try the latest version? You don't need to agree to use it, just let me know if it works. I posted svgalib 1.9.25 and the latest zgv for glibc 2.2.5.