baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X 6A

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X 6A
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:57:05 +0000

> > Used statically-compiled (uclibc) apps for a while.
>
> As you probably know, BL3 has a statically-compiled
> foundation. It boots happily and does many useful
> things with an empty /lib directory. This static
> foundation will increase in verion 3.5. Four
> executables that depend on libc5 in version 3.4
> will be static in version 3.5. This will make it
> easier to transition BasicLinux to uClibc

>when (if) the uClibc people release a version that's going to
>remain compatible for more than a year.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Remember, their focus is the PDA/Cellphone market. Embedded
systems...

> > Screen has the best cutting and pasting functionality
> > in the world. No other application compares. I
> > really miss that.
>
> A while back I tried compiling screen for BL3, but
> I ran into a brick wall. I don't recall exactly
> what the exact problem was (library? kernel?) but
> it just wouldn't go.

That surprises me. Screen seems to run everywhere. There's
an add-on screen on James' or Ron's BL3 site.

> > I'd love it if someone would make screen graphical.
> > It _is_ if you run it in an xterm :-\
>
> Does screen even need an xterm? From my reading it
> appeared that screen could function right on top of
> X without wm/xterm. Or did I understand wrong?

Never thought to try that! If it worked, I wonder if xapps
would run in the screen ptys? I used w3m-img for a while, which
displays images in place within a webpage, and _it_ ran in a
screen window (in an xterm w/window manager).

If not, with 7K window managers available...

But Libncurses on _top_ of the xlibs is a problem for us
minimalists. (Perhaps that library could be whittled down
a good bit, keeping just what's necesssary for screen.)

You may be onto something and I'm going to give this
some serious thought and maybe play with it too.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru