baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:46:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Used statically-compiled (uclibc) apps for a while.

As you probably know, BL3 has a statically-compiled
foundation. It boots happily and does many useful
things with an empty /lib directory. This static
foundation will increase in verion 3.5. Four
executables that depend on libc5 in version 3.4
will be static in version 3.5. This will make it
easier to transition BasicLinux to uClibc when
(if) the uClibc people release a version that's
going to remain compatible for more than a year.

You mean compile dynamically against it?

Screen has the best cutting and pasting functionality
in the world. No other application compares. I
really miss that.

A while back I tried compiling screen for BL3, but
I ran into a brick wall. I don't recall exactly
what the exact problem was (library? kernel?) but
it just wouldn't go.

The earliest version I found for Slackware was for 8.1.
Did you try libc5-dynamic or uclibc-static?
Karolis may have finished uclibc-2.2.26-headers by now.

I'd love it if someone would make screen graphical.
It _is_ if you run it in an xterm :-\

Does screen even need an xterm? From my reading it
appeared that screen could function right on top of
X without wm/xterm. Or did I understand wrong?

I use screen instead of X and xterms - why do both?