baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X 6A

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X 6A
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:26:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Used statically-compiled (uclibc) apps for a while.

As you probably know, BL3 has a statically-compiled
foundation. It boots happily and does many useful
things with an empty /lib directory. This static
foundation will increase in verion 3.5. Four
executables that depend on libc5 in version 3.4
will be static in version 3.5. This will make it
easier to transition BasicLinux to uClibc

when (if) the uClibc people release a version that's going to
remain compatible for more than a year.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Remember, their focus is the PDA/Cellphone market. Embedded
systems...

2-floppy blueflops is uclibc plus busybox 1.1.0 plus libvga (links) and a 1MB 2.6 kernel. Has a 45K dbclient (mine compiled to over 100K with defaults) instead of ssh, and a small IRC program. It looks like all the programs are static against uclibc to avoid backwards incompatibility. links 2.1pre19 that needs all the image format libraries, makes it newer than the svgalib Delilinux pre14 version. syslinux like David used. They tried to include ALL PCMCIA ethernet drivers (and maybe other ethernet drivers) in the kernel. Maybe for use on other people's broadband setups?

This dbclient might fit into BL3.50 in the spare 100K. Would omitting busybox telnet save any space?

Screen has the best cutting and pasting functionality
in the world. No other application compares. I
really miss that.

A while back I tried compiling screen for BL3, but
I ran into a brick wall. I don't recall exactly
what the exact problem was (library? kernel?) but
it just wouldn't go.

That surprises me. Screen seems to run everywhere. There's
an add-on screen on James' or Ron's BL3 site.

(Lee)

Nope, it is at http://johnbeck.org/bl3/screen.tgz - screen 3.9.9
352K.