baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:15:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I will be taking a different approach for next version
of BasicLinux. Instead of taking a minimalistic wm
and grafting on bits to make it more useful and more
attractive, I will be using a much nicer wm that is
bigger than swm, but smaller than swm + libXpm + menu
+ pixmaps.

Which one?

This will give us a significantly better wm in less
space than the old swm hodgepodge. The same applies
to links: BasicLinux 3.5 will have a better, smaller
links. And the new busybox will save us some space

How will you make it better and smaller?
Which programs are you omitting from busybox?

too. Overall, BasicLinux will shrink by more than
100kb. That will give us room for some extras like
an additional module or two.

I am still hoping to add the 3Com PCMCIA network
module to BL3, but I won't be able to do that until
I find an old 3Com card to experiment on. I keep
looking for one, but so far no luck. PCnet cards
are pretty easy to find (I've got four of them now),
but working 3Com PCMCIA network cards (with dongle)
are not so common here.

I have a combo 3com card with dead modem, I think.
Can I test the module for you?
I have not run across any pcnet cards.