baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:50:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

PCMCIA is for laptops, right?

Yes, the primary target for BL3 is old laptops.
That's why it has PCMCIA and a presentation
program built-in.

I can't help but notice that you haven't decided
to go over to svgalib :-)

No, I think X is superior in many ways. However,
keep in mind that BasicLinux started out as a
vgalib distribution, and several users have been
with us since that time. I am happy for them
to keep using vgalib apps on BasicLinux (even
though I have moved on).

Old laptops don't always have enough RAM to support X,
or video chips that work easily with it.

It is not necessary to choose between X and svgalib.

They are useful in different circumstances and people have their own preferences. Nobody is forced to choose between a screwdriver with interchangeable tips, or a drill motor, if they have electricity and the strength to use the latter as well as the wrist strength to use the former. A screwdriver fits into smaller spaces and is quieter and cheaper and uses less resources. It is not designed to drill holes. They can both put in screws.