baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2 + Small Window Manager and Failsafe Window Manager

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 to Glibc2 + Small Window Manager and Failsafe Window Manager
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 04:00:32 +0000

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 07:09:33PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:
> Uclibc isn't stable enough, and my hardware requires a lot of libc6
> software,
> so I decided to give in and 'upgrade' to glibc2, but instead of installing
> it on my present system, I'm rebuilding BL3 around it.
[delete]

The kdrive/tinyX Xi810 server `is working spendidly. With this
below my basic X setup is complete.

I built sWM, with a little help from its author, Robert Sperling
(nice fellow), then built his failsafewm just to see what was
like. 7K! And _perfect_.

http://www.small-window-manager.de/failsafewm-0.0.2.tgz

No title bar, just a thin white line for a border. These are the
_only_ input controls it has:

Alt-Tab: cycles windows
Alt-F2 : window under mouse can be moved until a mouse button is pressed.
Alt-F3 : window under mouse can be resized until a mouse button is pressed.
Alt-F5 : raise window under mouse cursor

(I should say "has at present". It is technically still under development.)

The other neat thing about it is that with a wide window (mine is
134 columns) you can make your working windows (using rxvt) 100
columns wide (anchored left-top) and have another window on the
right that is 34 columns wide to display whatever you want. Like
the time and what the current window order is and where you are
focussed. Or _anything_.

The pointer/focus doesn't automatically go to the raised/top
window so you can just ignore the narrow display window on the
right: Even when it is technically the focus window, you can
still work on the next one 'down' the stack.

I learned a lot during this process. Here are a couple of useful
links I added to my bookmarks:

http://www.crasseux.com/books/ctutorial/
http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/

The new sWM is ready for testing, and Robert would appreciate it if anyone
here is interested:

http://www.small-window-manager.de/sWM-1.3.6-20040624.tgz

He can be reached through the support address on the home page.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru