baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' 13

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' 13
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:07:15 +0000

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 05:02:05AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >> I could not find other html-to-pdf convertors for linux.
> >
> > I've been using htmldoc, 338K, for quite a while. Is excellent.
> >
> > http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc
>
> I just ran across it. Can you compile it for BL3?

libc5? Maybe. But if it didn't work with ./config, make, make install,
I'd be stray. David Moberg is the guy to ask about this. He's managed
to compile several libc6 apps using libc5.

> htmldoc filename.html | pdftopbm | pbmtolj > /dev/lp0 ??
>
> The source code for 1.8.27 (stable) is about 4.4MB tar.gz - what version
> do you have? How big is the package, not just the executable, and do you
> need all of it?

I won't know any of that until I boot debian again, which won't be today.
But I'll post it then.

> This is great that you actually have htmldoc! It sounds ideal for
> printing Opera or Abiword in BL3, combined with netpbm.

Easy as pie to use.

> > Don't know if it has any special dependencies. Not going to boot debian
> > right now.
> >
> > But a bash script is a better idea, though I have no idea how to write
> > ch a script.
> >
> >> From your previous post:
> >
> > I found a PHP script package (a zip file with several .php scripts and a
> > fonts directory including koi8-r and various other fonts), about 100K
> > download, html2pdf, and I could pipe the output to pdftopbm (comes with
> > xpdf and does not require X) and then pbmtolj (or the epson equivalent),
> > to print webpages or Abiword documents on an older deskjet or laserjet
> > printer. Without gs executable.
> >
> > /quote
> >
> > Looks like those php script and font libs will gunzip to about the same
> > size as htmldoc.
> But the PHP package is huge.

That too.

> > How big is the perl script?
>
> Don't care. PERL itself is about 10MB.

Well _I_ obviously care, or I wouldn't have asked the question.

So I'll trade you: Post the link, and I'll post the htmldoc
stuff, tomorrow at the soonest.

Scripting languages all have a lot in common. It may be possible to
port that to bash. There may be utilities that _do_ that.

But if it is too large, there is no point in it.

I'll be the judge of what's too large in this case.

> >> Textmaker is bigger than gs.
> >>
> >> Let's see how small gs
> >
> > Hopefully to less than 0 bits.
>
> The executable of the latest version is much smaller than PERL or PHP or
> the htmldoc source code package. I might not need any of the other stuff
> it came with other than pstopdf and the few fonts used by pdftopbm if I
> get Abiword to output ps.

I'll believe it when I see it. But the fact that you need Abiword, which
I understand is a WYSIWYG editor, puts a damper on any enthusism I might
have for the idea.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful