baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:12:23 +0000

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 05:18:17PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> >> BL3 does better on 1999 and older hardware. Can a later X be
> >> compiled against uclibc?
> >
> > Don't see why not. It's a version of glibc6.
>
> Do you want to attempt this?

I want to make my ideal OS happen. If that's what it takes.

> I am told it is quite difficult. But it could be very useful
> to BL3.

Indeed.

> I keep running into things (like xpdf) that require a
> later X to work.

Effing X. Did you know that X was not originally created to
do graphics? It was like screen. In fact, screen _could_ be
an implementation of the original X-Window system. Makes
senses.

PDF is a big problem. They keep changing it all the time and
it doesn't lend itself to conversion to other formats.

We need printers that will do HTML. Directly.

> Maybe you could at least compile Xfree86 3.6 for libc5, or find it
> somewhere else. That might let your video chip work with the svga X
> server.

I don't see the point of trying to use two different baselibs. And
there are many apps that won't compile with libc5. Plus uclibc is
half the size of libc5.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful