baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:14:20 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> In my experience, zgv also works much better when your graphics card
> only does a few colors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a
> version of zgv that works in X?
I don't have one - if I use it under X I get full-screen images without
any X.

I found the source package: http://rus.members.beeb.net/xzgv.html
But I'm not sure how useful it would be. zgv is quite large compared
to xli (as you mentioned).

> You can get quite good output from xli with 640x480x12 or better.

There is no 12-bit color, it will display at 15-bit if available or 8-bit
if not.

I think you said before that it selects the closest working mode
automatically. Apparently, in the event of a tie it picks the smaller
mode. That will cause problems since the PseudoColor routine (8-bit)
is broken. So x15 or x16 would be better.

24-bit, so for 2MB video try

800x600x24

640x480 for 1MB?

David