baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 03:56:28 +0000 (UTC)

I think I need a 'real' X server.

Steven posted the XF86Config for 800x600 resolution and the SVGA X server. I posted something similar that goes to 1024x768.

Which, fortunately, will be half the size of the one on my
debian OS.

lspci -v on my debian OS reports this:
You can look in /proc under pci if you do not have lspci.

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810E CGC [Chipset Grap
hics Con
troller] (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 0012
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Memory at ffe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

It's called an "i810" chipset.

We have those on three boards now - HP, IBM and a mini-DELL (the larger DELLS have real AGP video cards). We immediately put in real video cards (ATI PCI). In DOS or linux they use 1MB of onboard video RAM (or 512K) and when you disable them onboard they still use the megabyte and keep linux from booting with kernel 2.2 unless you add mem=(X-1)M to the loadlin or lilo line, where X is onboard RAM. So you will need to view at 640x480 to get 24-bit truecolor. Windows apparently has some way to use more RAM with this chip.

> I guess I should try the xsvga.tgz server, right?

Right. I have not tried that with this chip. You can check online if it is supported.

Lee