baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: lforrestster AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 04:16:24 +0000 (UTC)

It's called an "i810" chipset.

> I guess I should try the xsvga.tgz server, right?

Right. I have not tried that with this chip. You can check online if it
is supported.

It is supported in XFree86 3.3.6 from 2000 (Slackware 7.1) but apparently not 3.3.3 (Slackware 4.0), which supports the i740. Our three boards with this chip were made in 2000 or 2001. They appear to work with Xvesa but I did not investigate the colors. (I would need to remove the added ATI video card from one, and change BIOS in another, to use onboard video).

For a newer XF86 replace the X libraries (use Slackware 7.1 or 8.1, and also install glibc to match) and icewm (there is a BL2 version) and I don't know what else. Then you could also use xpdf 3.0 and later versions of other programs (Rosegarden) that require X, such as the recent ghostscript I compiled dynamically.

Maybe svgalib needs fixing to work with this chip.
I may experiment on ours some time.

BL3 does better on 1999 and older hardware.
Can a later X be compiled against uclibc?

Lee