baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:13:45 -0800

Lee Forrest wrote:

No. Nor does kill PID or switching to tty1 and shutting down the
xserver with ^C, or anything like that. No matter what I do,
it kills the tty and I have reboot.

This is one of the "fish hooks" that Steven mentioned. Xvesa does not
always behave correctly when you ask it to shut down.

Because the getty on tty2 won't allow me to login (takes username
but not password) I have to reboot. That getty doesn't work at
all, by the way. I can't switch to it with Ctrl-Alt-F2 and login,
ever.

Lee, can you show us your /etc/inittab and passwd (edited if
necessary)? The passwd add-on worked perfectly for me, so we need more
information to track down this problem (if indeed you want to solve
it).

Now, about your problem displaying images. I switched my Xvesa to
4-bit color and experienced problems (with xli) similar to what you
have described. I think I may have a solution. Get and install
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/netpbm-10.26.7.libc5.tgz. (1.6MB, but
this method only uses about 200K of stuff from it. You can delete the
remainder.) Then use this command sequence to convert your image:

jpegtopnm file_name_here.jpg | ppmdither -red 2 -green 2 -blue 2 | \
ppmtobmp >/tmp/1.bmp
xli /tmp/1.bmp

The result of the above sequence was _much_ better than what xli alone
provided, in my testing. This method uses netpbm to dither (reduce
colors) of the image, and netpbm's dithering is more complex/robust
than xli's.

If the detail is now visible, but the colors are off, try starting
Xvesa with the
"-swaprgb" option.

If you like the results, I suggest that you experiment with the above
sequence. For example, the following will scale the image down first
if it is too large to fit on the screen:

jpegtopnm /hd/craterla/picture0.jpg | pnmscale .4 | ppmdither -red 2
-green 2 -blue 2 | ppmtobmp >/1.bmp

You can also use the pngtopnm in the above package to convert PNGs
into a format usable with xli.

Did you try very low resolution, high color depth combinations in
/etc/Xconfig? e.g. 320x240x16 or 640x480x16? If you still want a large
Xserver, I suggest looking through here:
http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.6.0/binaries/Linux-ix86-libc5/

They have libc5 binaries for several new versions of X. Large
packages, but you should be able to delete what you don't need.

David