baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 02:47:57 +0000 (UTC)

Now, about your problem displaying images. I switched my Xvesa to
4-bit color and experienced problems (with xli) similar to what you
have described. I think I may have a solution. Get and install
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/netpbm-10.26.7.libc5.tgz. (1.6MB, but
this method only uses about 200K of stuff from it. You can delete the
remainder.) Then use this command sequence to convert your image:

jpegtopnm file_name_here.jpg | ppmdither -red 2 -green 2 -blue 2 | \
ppmtobmp >/tmp/1.bmp
xli /tmp/1.bmp
I vaguely recall also having poor quality jpegs with xli, before I switched to zgv and xv. Have you tried xv?
Did you try very low resolution, high color depth combinations in
/etc/Xconfig? e.g. 320x240x16 or 640x480x16? If you still want a large
Xserver, I suggest looking through here:
http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.6.0/binaries/Linux-ix86-libc5/

They have libc5 binaries for several new versions of X. Large
packages, but you should be able to delete what you don't need.

Good find!

libc5 xbin.tgz for 4.6.0 is 6MB, for 4.0.1 3.3MB.
3.3.6, which should handle i810, was only available there for glibc2.
I presume it should also compile with libc5.

David