baslinux - [BL] Xvesa Xli Images

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa Xli Images
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:24:41 +0000

For the first time, I attempted to view photographic
images of places and people with xli/Xvsesa, and was
pretty disappointed in the result. They were _interesting_,
even aesthetically appealing, but not accurate:

../images<#>xli -supported
Image types supported:
GIF Image
JPEG Image (JFIF format)
BMP Image (RLE encoded)
Photo CD Image
X Window Dump
G3 FAX Image
PC Paintbrush Image
MacPaint Image
X Pixmap
X Bitmap

No png!

../images/xli monica13.jpg

monica13.jpg is a 400x533 JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3
comps., Huffman coding Converting true color image to RGB image
with 16 colors...done Building XImage...done Image Gamma now
1.025496 xx

Spent a while playing with the various options, including
0-9 while the image was being displayed.

../images<#>xli -colors 64 monica13.jpg

monica13.jpg is a 400x533 JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3
comps., Huffman coding Converting true color image to RGB image
with 64 colors...done Building XImage...done Image Gamma now
1.000000

../images<#>xli -install monica13.jpg

monica13.jpg is a 400x533 JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3
comps., Huffman coding Converting true color image to RGB image
with 16 colors...done Building XImage...done

../images<#>xli -cdither monica13.jpg

monica13.jpg is a 400x533 JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3 comps.,
Huffman coding Converting true color image to RGB image with
16 colors... (Using color dithering to reduce the impact of
restricted colors)...done Building XImage...done

This produced the most realistic display, although it's in
greyscale and sprinkled with dots:

../images<#>xli -dither monica13.jpg

monica13.jpg is a 400x533 JPEG image, color space YCbCr, 3
comps., Huffman coding Adjusting image gamma from 2.20 to 1.00
for image processing...done Dithering image...done Building
XImage...done Image Gamma now 2.200000

I get no colors but a spash of bright (blue,purple,green) when
almost nothing else is in the window. Sometimes. Mostly just
shades of grey. But there isn't any bright color in the image.

Looks like it's a matter of color depth, and I'm thinking
I'll need at least 64 to do the job right. And maybe a higher
resolution.

Is this right, or am I missing something?

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru