baslinux - Re: [BL] Xpdf Pdftopbm (was: Xvesa Xli Images)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xpdf Pdftopbm (was: Xvesa Xli Images)
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 07:43:09 +1300

Lee Forrest wrote:

> > On my fastest computer I have source code for two kernels,
> > uclibc, busybox source code, and some collections of music
> > (midi files, sheet music) and lots of photos. So about 1GB or
> > even more.
>
> A thousand megabytes is not tiny.

I'm going to defend Sindi here (not something I normally have
to do). Kernel sources are huge (particularly 2.4 and above).
Obviously you will need a thousand megabytes or more for a
proper development platform.

That does not obviate the fact that Sindi does run a minimal
Linux for her day-to-day (non-developmental) activities.

> > I did NOT add gs, just a set of 12 basic fonts from gs (I
> > could possibly have gotten them from some place else instead
> > but I had gs) which is needed by the pdftopbm convertor
>
> So pdftopbm needs gs. That's not tiny.

Again I defend Sindi. She said that she does not use gs.
Yes, pdftopbm needs fonts. Yes, the place she happened to
get those fonts was from a gs package. But that does not
mean pdftopbm needs gs.

I would be grateful if Lee and Sindi would stop this thread
(or at least take it off list). It is doing none of us any
good.