baslinux - Re: [BL] X

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 12:41:48 +0000

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 09:36:46AM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > (The fact that you can't cut&paste from/to links 0.9.0 is to
> > me a fatal flaw.)
>
> I cut&paste to and from it all the time. Maybe I'm
> misunderstanding the problem, but to copy and paste with links
> you hold down the shift key, and while you're holding it down
> you use the mouse to select what to copy. Then it pastes
> normally with the shift key down if you're pasting to links,
> otherwise no shift key is necessary.

> Does this work for you?

<looks furtively around, hoping that no one is paying attention>
and whispers, 'yes'.

But it isn't mentioned in the manpage!

> or is the mouse requirement a problem?

Better than nothing.

> If the latter, it might be
> possible to do this with the keyboard, but probably slightly
> more difficult (selecting with a mouse is easier). I will look
> for directions. I think mousekeys work, but then you would need
> a larger X server.

Never seen any implementation of the mousekeys concept that works
worth a damn.

My big objection to the plastic rat is that you have to take your
hand off the keyboard. (The original GUI had a small one-handed
keyboard for the left hand, and a rat for the other.)

A little joystick with a mushroom cap 'handle', against the lower
left and right sides of the keyboard would work a lot better.

How do you like that name? "Mushrooms" instead of a mouse. They
could just be glued on. No big deal. Use your pinkies.

Thanks for the tip.

Lee