baslinux - Re: [BL] Acronyms (was: Sindi -- Compiler)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Acronyms (was: Sindi -- Compiler)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:51:00 -0600

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:29:37PM -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:

> Without a standardized vocabulary we are going to become a tower
> of babel. And the place to go for the correct way to refer
> to slackware is to slackware users and maintainers, not some
> non-slackware blog or web forum.
>
> See if you can find "SW" on slackware.com. Good luck.

May I suggest you join SPGPACA? (The Society for the Prevention of the
Gratuitous
Proliferation of Acronyms in the Computer Age). Shall I pronounce that for
you? Yes, just as
it looks, it's spgpaca (kinda like "spaghetti" but with pakka tacked on the
end. I won't
tell you what that word means in south Swahili, or you might question my
motives in
responding to this post). Despite all the good they aim to do, SPGPACA seem
so far to have
succeeded mainly in saddling our already-overburdened vocabulary with _yet
another acronym_.
And a difficult-to-pronounce one, at that.

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

James