baslinux - Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (4)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (4)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 04:32:59 +0000 (UTC)

I think maybe I just better get back on the web and find either
a low-profile, standard serial/modem card or a USB serial adaptor
and modem.

USB to serial adaptor (can be used with standard hardware modem)
or
USB modem

Or just get an old computer!

A 486 would be perfect, lots of ISA slots for hardware modems. I got the PCMCIA card working in Win98 after quite a few crashes. It is so old it won't recognize cardbus. A random search found a 13% signal strength and no usable signal but at least I know the hardware works before I try it in linux.

The laptop might work better near a window at the front of the house instead of on the kitchen table. My neighbor identified the source of the 13% signal.

In 2007 or 2008 the county will be providing free (76K/sec) broadband, for all those people who can't afford cell phones and also land phones for dialup. And the university is eliminating free dialup in 2 weeks. Be prepared!