baslinux - Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (4)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Development Tools for BL (4)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:52:33 -0800

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:34:53PM -0800, Lee Forrest wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:05:18AM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> > Lee Forrest wrote:
[delete]
> > > gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
> > > scripts/mkdep.c
> > > /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(elf-init.oS): In function `__libc_csu_init':
> > > elf-init.oS(.text+0x1d): undefined reference to `__init_array_end'
> > > elf-init.oS(.text+0x23): undefined reference to `__init_array_start'
> > > elf-init.oS(.text+0x43): undefined reference to `__init_array_start'
> > > /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(elf-init.oS): In function `__libc_csu_fini':
> > > elf-init.oS(.text+0x7a): undefined reference to `__fini_array_end'
> > > elf-init.oS(.text+0x80): undefined reference to `__fini_array_start'
> > > elf-init.oS(.text+0xa3): undefined reference to `__fini_array_start'
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > > make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error 1
> >
> > I just noticed this error log. It appears that the kernel Makefile is
> > trying to build mkdep (tool used for compiling) but something is wrong
> > with your libc setup. You will need to fix this problem before you can
> > compile a kernel (with updated serial driver or otherwise). What order
> > did you install the development packages in? (If they were installed
> > in the wrong order, that could cause a problem.)
>
> That's baffling. I haven't changed anything in that area since
> I built my last debian kernel (quite a while ago). It's a stock
> setup via apt-get.
>
> I just noticed something, David. There's no space left on that
> partition:

> /dev/hda9 464M 453M 0 100% /usr
>
> I'll move the tarballs to a partition where I have lots of space
> and symlink the unpacked kernel source tree to /usr/src/linux and
> try again.
>
> Good grief! :-(

Didn't work. So to see if it was a problem with a 'modern' compiler
not being able to deal with 2.2.26 kernel sources, I tried to
make another 2.4.19 and it failed with the same error messages.

So you must be right, David. What's the solution? Use the --reinstall
option to apt-get? What would be the proper order?

libc6
libc6-dev

??

This is risky. I could trash my debian. There are two options for
libc6, one optimized for 686 and one not. I don't know which one
I have. Dpkg is a confusing utility that I don't understand at
all.

I think maybe I just better get back on the web and find either
a low-profile, standard serial/modem card or a USB serial adaptor
and modem.

Or just get an old computer!

Sorry about the problems with the freebie laptops, Sindi.

Lee