baslinux - Re: [BL] NFS on BL3

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] NFS on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:42:17 -0500

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 12:17:23AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >> He has a big collection of pcmcia linksys cards that
> >> probably work only in Windows
> >
> > These work in Linux:
> > -------------------
> > Linksys WPC11 (except version 4)
> > Linksys WMP11
> > Linksys WCF11
> > Linksys WCF12
> >
> >> I think we have two version 4 cards of something that worked
> >> with linux up to version 3.
> >
> > Sounds like the WPC11. Is it cardbus? I believe
> > version 4 is cardbus (the earlier versions weren't).
>
> I found a Hardware:HOWTO:Linksys WPC11 v3: Debian
>
> Ver 3 is said to use orinoco.o
>
> The neighbor has a pile of cardbus and/or 811g but also
>
> Lucent PC24E-H-FC (orinoco.o)
>
> Cisco aironet air-pcm340 (airo.o)

I had understood your neighbor has wired, not wireless, NIC's. Is that not
correct? If you can
get access to an aironet PCMCIA (or PCI) wireless card, that's definitely
your ticket. I
understand that these are the best- and longest-supported wireless cards
under Linux. They
also tend to be expensive (like just about anything with the Cisco
label)--even older ones.

James