baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't boot BL2 ramdisk or BL3 loop from DOS partition on scsi drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't boot BL2 ramdisk or BL3 loop from DOS partition on scsi drive
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 02:43:41 +0000 (UTC)

This did not work any better than the initfs.gz.
Uncompressing linux....OK, booting the kernel.

I used the same scsifs.gz and bzimagsy.431 (kernel) on a computer with BL3.40 in a DOS IDE partition (hda1), where it worked.

loadlin bzimagsy.431 root=/dev/loop0 initrd=scsifs.gz rw

I checked md5sums to be sure. I tried several times to boot from sda1.

I then tried putting the line with sda1 in linuxrc before the one with hda1 instead of after it in case mounting a nonexistent hda1 was the problem. No help.

I have to delete linuxrc~ in order to unmount the file (without making it too large).

The new /initrd/dev/sda1 has a 0 in it where /dev/sda1 has a 6.
I did not specify either of these, just the b 8 1. When I tried copying the dev it ended up the same way as with mknod, with a 0.

The scsifs.gz that I posted tries hda1 then sda1.

The computer complained when we tried to put in an IDE drive, wanted a Compaq diagnostic disk, but we could try again just so we would have loop BL3 on IDE with which to copy over BL to ext2 partitions. One time I had to download and make a diagnostic disk, with help from tech support, for a 486 Compaq computer. I would prefer to have loop BL3 on the scsi drive where I can use it to fix things later. The 2-floppy version does not access scsi drives.

Apart from adding /initrd/dev/sda1 and adding a section to linuxrc, is there something else I need to change to boot loop BL3 from scsi drive with my scsi kernel (which works to boot to ext2 scsi linux)?

We have three other scsi controllers and 9G, 8G and 2G drives, which appear to run linux faster than IDE drives. I don't want to have to put in an IDE drive as well.