baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:48:15 +0000 (UTC)

there is no /dev/hde2 in /dev. Accordingly, I have just
downloaded SW4.0 /a2/devs.tgz

That should work; however, it is not necessary.

It didn't work anyway ! Not enough space for the new devs. :(

You can create any devs you need. For example:
-----------------------
mknod /dev/hde2 b 33 2
-----------------------

BL3.40 comes with /dev/sdb1 but not sdb2.

I have two scsi drives in one computer with two partitions on each and am trying to copy between them. I tried booting BL3.40 loop with my own 2.4.31 scsi kernel (built-in aic7xxx) and it boots but it boots read-only. The boot.bat file I used is rw - why?

BL3.40 ext2 has an /sbin/e2fsck that can check /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2. Same exact kernel in loop and ext2 linux. I don't know which e2fsck is ued by loop linux.

BL3.40 loop can't e2fsck sdb2 (it does not exist and I cannot make a new device in a read-only file system) or sdb1 - says the superblock is corrupt. They both checked with ext2 BL3.40.

1. Why is loop BL3.40 read only? (I rebooted to make sure).

2. Why can't I e2fsck /dev/sdb1 with it? - one time I think it checked sdb1 but not sdb2, another it did not, so this could be my fault or it could be more messed up than a previous time.

The first scsi drive is failing and keeps getting serious errors during file transfer so I transfer a bit at a time until it crashes, turn off, reboot, run e2fsck on /sda1 (BL3.40 ext), sda2 (BL2 to be copied), and sdb2 (target bl2) or sdb1 (target bl3). This makes a mess of the file system - is there any better way?

Ext2 BL's can handle two scsi drives. Next I will attempt to boot DOS from scsi drive and have a non-IDE computer. SCSI CD_ROM burner too.
mke2fs runs much faster on SCSI and Mac people are leaving drives at the curb here. Only trick is to set IDS with the little jumpers and terminate the last drive on the cable.

Please add /dev/sdb2 through 4 to future BLs along with /dev/hde 1-4.