baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:09:11 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:26:47 +1200
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > there is no /dev/hde2 in /dev. Accordingly, I have just
> > downloaded SW4.0 /a2/devs.tgz
>
> That should work; however, it is not necessary.

It didn't work anyway ! Not enough space for the new devs. :(

> You can create any devs you need. For example:
> -----------------------
> mknod /dev/hde2 b 33 2
> -----------------------

That is similar what I did, after trying all sorts of combinations (the
"help" info is really cryptic and no help at all), and managed to make
hde2/hde3/hde4 with some odd values, but they worked. :)

I used: makedevs /dev/hde b 33 2 2 4 which gave some out-of-sequence
numbers when looked at with 'dir', but it seems to work. I will install the
devs.tgz later, which hopefully will overwrite any mistakes.
There is now enough room for all of that in this 30 GB partition. :)

The basic BL3 is now installed on the second partition of my first SATA
drive, and boots from DOS on the first SATA drive. I felt very smug when
it actually worked. :)

Of course, this machine has the sound, and the ethernet connection, as
chips mounted directly on the Gigabyte motherboard, so there are still plenty
of challenges to keep me amused for a while to come.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke