baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and SATA hard drives
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 02:25:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The 2.2.26 p1 kernel writes, so I booted with it (in loop) and made
/dev/sdb2. The 2.4.31 kernel (my sy kernel) does not write:
Error 30 : R/O file system.

What should I change in my kernel config to make it boot loop read/write?
I probably compiled with loop as module - should it be built in?

Yes, although it shouldn't even boot if it's built as module and you
haven't inserted it.

loop is built in (configsy.431).
You can try booting with my bzimagsy.431 kernel.

Same thing happens on another computer with loop bl3.40 and my sy kernel. This computer has no scsi card.

There is nothing in dmesg about read-only. I did find the command line for booting with rw in it, in dmesg, but nothing about read-only after attempting to save a file with e3pi to the loop file.

After you mounted/booted loop and saw that it was read-only, what did
dmesg say? The output of dmesg could give us a clue as to why loop is
read-only.

David

This is a curiosity, not a problem. I can always boot with Steven's kernel to write to loop.

Emachines with 333MHz cpus do not work properly at higher bus speeds (95 or 100) - the video goes bad (the cursor leaves behind a trail of dots) and they don't boot reliably. At 83MHz bus speed there are a few dots and they boot. But ours is working well with linux at up to 5x83MHz. Someone just gave us three more working computers - 433, 450, 533, with 10-15GB hard drives. And a USB zip drive (250MHz) - I presume I need scsi and usb-storage drivers (and a disk).

I still prefer BL to larger linuxes, but except on laptops or floppy drives there is no need for a small kernel.