baslinux - Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:37:13 -0700

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
Flavio Genelhu Oliveira wrote:

> I just got BL3 on internet, since i wanted to fill
> my old 486 with some more than 10Mb of memory and an
> HD of about 500Mb with some usefulness.

Welcome.

> looking at SANE to do scanner things, but i couldnĀ“t
> find info if BL3 suports it (SANE)

I do not have a scanner and have never used one.
So there is no scanner support in BL3.

I have a USB scanner that supposedly works with SANE, but I have never
tried it in BL3. If I can find a version of SANE that will run on BL3
(with library upgrade?), I will test and report back.

> at least with a proprietary SCSI interface.

I do not have any SCSI devices and have never used
one. So, again, I am unable to provide support for
SCSI devices.

Same here. Sindi has some experience with SCSI on BL; does anyone else?

To original poster (Oliveira): Is this some kind of USB-SCSI hybrid,
or is it actually a SCSI scanner?

> it needs a higher version kernel

I am told by users who have USB devices that the current
BL3 kernel works with some of them. Apparently USB keyboards
and mouses work. I have not heard whether USB scanners work.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. The only USB devices that I
know of, which do not work with the BL3.4 kernel, are either USB mass
storage (2.2 has a buggy mass storage driver) or only have a Windows
driver.

I know that libusb (for user-space USB drivers) works on BL3.4,
because I used a statically compiled version of a libusb program to
successfully access a digital camera in BL3.4.

David