baslinux - Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:58:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Flavio Genelhu Oliveira wrote:

Hi,

I just got BL3 on internet, since i wanted to fill
my old 486 with some more than 10Mb of memory and an
HD of about 500Mb with some usefulness.

I intent it to be a scanner machine and probably a
simple desktop internet access with some word
processing.

I was obviusly looking at SANE to do scanner
things, but i couldn´t find info if BL3 suports it
(SANE), at least with a proprietary SCSI interface. as
i red, to use USB scanners it needs a higher version
kernel, thats why i am asking this.

You can use BL3 with a later kernel. David Moberg compiled a rather ocmplete one (with scsi support, and lots of USB support) for 2.4.31, which is posted at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31. I compiled a few kernels with scsi and USB storage but not USB scanner support so do not use them. See the file blfiles.htm for explanations of what is what.
You will need the matching modules for his kernel (I think in userspec.tgz). I don't recall anyone in this list posting about successful use of a USB scanner yet so let us know how it goes.

I found SANE compiled for a later Slackware and it works for me in BL2 with my scsi scanners (HP and Microtek). If Slackware 4.0 does not have SANE and you don't want to compile it, upgrade your libraries to a Slackware version that does have it. I know 8.1 does. Steven recommends Slackware 9.0 glibc-so. Check the SANE website to learn which version supports your scanner and find it precompiled if possible (for Slackware or rpm - you can convert rpm with rpm2targz) or compile it yourself. It was not hard to compile for BL2. Try linuxpackages.net for more packages.

I also needs suggestion to how i can connect it
through a DSL modem.

I was able to plug our BL3 laptop computer into someone's DSL modem via ethernet and go online. I reported how to the list, last September. You need to know the IP number for the DSL connection and I think run udhcp and then telnet or ssh to the IP number.

And i would like to know where i can find
instructions on how to install it at another machine
with different hardware, and than just move the HD to
486 and boot it. I really cant trust the diskete drive
anymore since it got too much dust all this time
stoped.

Can you clean the drive with a vacuum cleaner?
Test it with floppymeter to see if it is good. Or format a disk in it and see if the other computer can read it and vice versa.

If you install BL with the 486 kernel (the default kernel for BL3.40) it should work fine on both machines.

Thanks for any sugestion and orientation

Flávio