baslinux - Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:32:49 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> > That works for DSL routers (ethernet). It doesn't work
> > for DSL modems (USB).
>
> What is the difference between a DSL router and a DSL modem?

The terms are used very loosely (and may differ in your
country). There are two types of DSL devices. One has
an ethernet interface and does all the necessary conversions
and routing. It works well with Linux.

The other type of device (often provided free by ISPs) does
not have an ethernet interface. It is cheaper and less
capable. It expects your computer to pre-process the data
(a bit like a Win-modem) and ouput it via USB. In order
for this DSL device to work, it requires a software driver
-- this driver is almost always Windows-only.

> We have three devices labelled ADSL which have both ethernet
> and USB connections and the local provider told us they provide
> a 'modem' that you can use with either ethernet or USB, the
> former being better.

If the (A)DSL device has both ethernet and USB, you should
use ethernet. AFAIK the USB connection requires a Windows
driver.