baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:48:12 +0000 (UTC)

DOS kermit supports printing of my email directly to my printer,
direct-dialed and I think also telnetted using Kermit telnet.

Linux kermit does not, in my experiment. I don't recall the details.

DOS kermit lets me print text emails directly. Maybe the linux kermit is
set up to print ps and I would need to modify some file somewhere? This
is way beyond my understanding.

I don't recall if DOS printed without kermit (dial ISP then telnet).
I will report back.

I dialed my ISP with netdial (from bobcat - the Arachne miniterm also works) and used cutcp telnet program to access grex, then ssh'ed from grex to here. First I printed a mail at grex, worked fine without kermit used for dialing or telnet.

Screen is inverse and things run rather slowly this way but it is usable.

So kermit is not involved. How would I set up linux to do whatever DOS is doing automatically to print plain text, without involving printcap or lpd? If I cat text to this deskjet printer I first need to convert from linux to DOS format, but linux prints to the dot-matrix (Panasonic) without converting to DOS format first.