baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 23:32:16 -0000 (UTC)

> I downloaded from David's BL3 addon's site Ken's ltmodem.tgz package for
> BL3.40 which says it won't work for any other BL that is earlier, but will
> it work for BL2?

Using sdf webmail from Opera, I am online with the ltmodem.
The ltmodem.tgz package contains 2.2.26 modules (should work with BL2
if you use 2.2.26 kernel) lt_serial.o and lt_modem.o and depmod (which I
did not use) but no instructions. You need to mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
and edit the eznet.conf file (use pppsetup) to change /dev/ttyS1 to
/dev/ttyLT0
and then insmod lt_serial lt_modem slhc ppp, and ppp-on (or make a second
eznet section for 1 instead of 0 and eznet up 1, if you also want to keep
using the non-ltmodem as well). I made a script to insmod modules and
eznet up 1.

Connect 52000 v42bis. I thought this was a 33K modem. We upgraded it to
56K for Windows and it then worked as 28.8K instead of 33K. Don't
understand. We gave away the other one in a Win98 computer, too bad.

Problem - ssh and telnet are not working.
ssh: PRNG is not seeded.
telnet: unknown host

ping, links, lynx and opera work, only the latter with sdf webmail.

Do ssh and telnet work for other people with ltmodem? Am I missing
something? I also upgraded to BL3.40 just before installing ltmodem.tgz.
I have used BL3.40 on several computers with ssh, and I simply tgz'ed a
working installation and uncompressed it on top of my BL3.32 ext2 setup.
ssh works with BL3.40 on the other computers.

The 2.2.26 ppa.o crashes BL3. BL2 works fine with 2.4.31 or 2.2.16 ppa.o
I redownloaded it to make sure of the version, from Steven's site.
Don't recall if I ever tried ppa.o in BL3 with the other kernels. I used
it to transfer about 28MB of BL3.40 .tgz here via parport zip drive via
BL2.

The ltmodem seems very stable but I want ssh. Webmail is slow and annoying.
I will try kermit telnet.